French Bread

(fast & delicious)

2.5 c warm water
2 Tbsp yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Salt
5.5 c flour (about)
2 Tbsp olive oil (not necessary-but it’s what I think makes my bread so good)

Directions: preheat oven to 450

In large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let it proof/sit for 5 minutes or so until it has foam on top. Stir in about 4 cups of flour, stir in olive oil as needed. Keep stirring in flour until you have to knead. Knead until you have a uniform dough that doesn’t stick to the sides 

Put a towel over dough in bowl and let rise 15-30 minutes

Separate dough in 2 to form into 2 loaves. To shape loaf, roll 1/2 of dough into a rectangle about 9x12. Roll up and seal seams very well. Place seal on the bottom of the pan & tuck/seal ends under.

Make 1/4 in slits in dough with knife in one or two quick motions (a serrated bread knife works best).

Cover dough and let rise again 5 minutes (bare minimum, longer is better)

Uncover and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and sounds hollow when tapped.

*If I want it to rise faster, I put it in a warm car (sometimes with the windows down so it doesn’t cook it)

*this doesn’t have a very crispy crust and I like it that way. I have other recipes with crispy crusts. If you want a crispy crust though, just pour some water in a pan underneath the cooking bread and close the door fast.

This is not only one of the quickest, easiest bread recipes I have, but I also get tons of compliments and people asking for the recipe.

Featured in the photo are 1/2 sized loafs



Comments

Popular Posts